Curricula, Guides & Manuals
- A Year in the Forest
- Got Veggies: A Garden-Based Nutrition Education Curriculum
- Got Dirt
- Seed to Table
- Linking Land and People
- Visit our Youth Garden Portal for both curricular and garden resources!
(From Youth Grow Local's Nature Study program.)
A Year in the Forest is a place-based, year-round curriculum specially designed for the sugar maple woodland at Troy Gardens. The curriculum includes four units—each corresponding with a season of the year—as well as appendices of helpful resources for teachers. To develop A Year in the Forest, we recruited a wonderful curriculum development team composed of EE professionals, University of Wisconsin-Madison graduate and undergraduate students, and a recent high school graduate who had participated in a variety of educational programs at Troy Gardens during his youth.
A Year in the Forest may be downloaded below by section.
- Table of Contents
- Winter in the Forest
- Spring in the Forest
- Summer in the Forest
- Fall in the Forest
- Appendix I: Games
- Appendix II: Recipes
- Appendix III: Crafts
- Appendix IV: Songs
- Appendix V: Stories and Poems
- Appendix VI: Lesson Resources
- Appendix VII: Bibliography of Helpful & Inspiring Resources
- The Sol Levin Memorial Trail (new in 2012). Download the beautiful and informative trail brochure or pick one up at the kiosk on the left side of the driveway into the co-housing. If you download it to take a "virtual" tour, please start at #1 (on page 2).
(From the Urban Natural Areas program.)
- NEW Troy Gardens Natural Areas Management Plan - Revised December 2010
- Youth Roots, Community Canopy: A Guide for Working with Teens on Forest Management Activities
- Executive Summary: Evaluation of Management Plan
- Woodland Management Plan
- "Where the Sidewalk Ends": Edible Garden Guide
- Troy Gardens Prairie Wildflower Guide
- From the Ground Up, a guide to basic vegetable, flower, and herb gardening for new gardeners