Friday Drop-in Farm Volunteer – Join the Troy Community farm crew for planting, weeding, mulching, harvesting and more! Volunteers are welcome at the 5-acre, organic, vegetable farm every Friday morning from 7:00 to 11:00 am, May through October. While not mandatory farm worker orientation is highly recommended ... at 10:00 AM on either Wednesday 5/21/14 or Friday 5/23/14. The farm is not visible from Troy Drive. Park on the street and walk up the hill through the community gardens. Continue passed the tree line to the tallgrass prairie, then look right. The farm is just a short distance down the path.
Wednesday Herb Garden Work Night -- Volunteers are often looking for a way to help after work. Join lead steward Nancy Sills in Troy Gardens' herb garden every Wednesday evening beginning April 16th, 6:30 - 7:30. The Herb Garden cannot be seen from Troy Drive. Park in the street and walk up the Maple Lane or the western path along the community gardens. When you reach the top of the hill, look to the left of the praire for the Edible Woodland sign.
Individual Volunteer Program
To become a Community GroundWorks volunteer please download and fill out our volunteer application. Send in the application to the address indicated on the bottom of the form. The programs below are in need of volunteers; please indicate your areas of volunteer preference on the form.
- Prune, mulch, and water our fruit trees
- Maintain and improve the edible landscape
- Work on restoration of a maple woodland strip and a four-acre prairie
- Participate in regular educational opportunities
- Join us at our open volunteer day at the farm Friday mornings from mid-May to late-October for weeding, planting, harvesting, and more
Youth Gardening Programs
- Help maintain the Troy Kids' Garden and assist with gardening, nature education, cooking and art activities for children from community centers and schools.
- Lend a hand at the Goodman Youth Farm! We have several spots for individual volunteers to assist weekly with our hands-on, farm-based educational programs for youth ages five to eighteen. We also have monthly Saturday morning volunteer days open to individuals and groups - come from 9:00am-12:00pm to help us mulch, weed, harvest, compost, and learn about organic gardening! All ages welcome. Saturday volunteer dates for 2014 are: April 26, May 31, June 21, July 26, September 13, and October 18. Contact Jennica Skoug if you are interested in volunteering at the Youth Farm.
- Help us plan our annual Savor the Summer Festival and other fundraising events
- Join a committee of our board of directors: fund development, communications, site management, or an advisory committee
Service Learning for Community Groups and Schools
Our programs are great for schools and community groups looking for service learning opportunities. Join us to harvest food for the hungry, maintain our gardens, remove invasive species, plant trees, and more. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 240-0409 to learn more about volunteering or service learning opportunities.